There was no doubt that a menu entitled 9 Dishes / 9 Ice Creams in Context at the Westin Palace Madrid was going to be of great interest to us on our recent trip to this lovely Spanish capital city.
There is no doubt that both chefs and home cooks are becoming more confident and innovative in their cooking, mixing tastes and ingredients previously unheard of. It was with great pleasure that we were invited to be a part of such an avant-garde menu at La Rotunda Restaurant at the Westin Palace Madrid.
Chef Fernando Sáenz has designed 9 dishes accompanied by 9 ice creams to be enjoyed and savoured in the grand dining room under the glassed dome.
This Spaniard is a master ice cream master of La Rioja who is making his mark on a haute cuisine.
At the customary time of 10.30pm we dutifully arrived, rather excited to be honest, to see what he had created.
This is where the fun began and we will show you our menu, dish by dish as they arrived. We hope you enjoy our gastronomic treat as much as we did, because it was one sensory and visual treat after another.
Master Chef – Fernando Sáenz of 9 Dishes / 9 Ice Creams
Creator of 9 Dishes / 9 Ice Creams in Context at the Westin Palace Madrid
1. Green pear and lemon thyme sorbet
2. Potato cubes with an iced Iberian ham spicy paprika and AOVE Arbequina olive oil sauce
3. White prawns from Huelva with an icy sea water, chamomile and lemon dressing
4. Almond and garlic cream soup with Palo cortado sherry ice cream
5. An assortment of sautéed vegetables with Iberian ham accompanied by asparagus ice cream
6. Salt cod fillet Biscay style, with grilled leek and Guenica pepper ice cream served on a bed of potatoes
7. Beef tenderloin with a brandy butter ice cream
8. Pear and Apple duo with muscatel, and ice cream of citrus and herbs
9. Chocobarrica ice cream with red fruits and red wine coulis
This was a gastronomic feast like no other that we have experienced. Suffice to say that we thoroughly enjoyed such different flavour combinations, such attention to detail. Ice Cream works with everything as Chef Fernando Sáenz demonstrated here.
Thank you to Westin Palace Madrid and to Chef Fernando Sáenz for a taste sensation unparalleled.
Weekend Travel Inspiration
Please link your weekend travel inspiration.
Add a link to your travel inspiration and check out some of the others