These 14 Do’s and Don’ts in Paris might be of assistance when you visit the city of light and the city of love. For some reason, people are intimidated by Paris, and the Parisians themselves. It is not hard to fall in love with Paris, and these suggestions will make your travels that much more memorable.
1.Don’t bitch if Starbucks shuts at 8 pm. It is Paris, and you shouldn’t go there anyhow. Click To Tweet2. Don’t avoid the metro, unless you are disabled or have a child in a pram, or any condition that means you can’t cope with stairs. The Metro is a tourist attraction in its own right for those able to access it.
Read: The Paris Metro is a Tourist Destination in Itself
3. Don’t try and speak too much French. A merci and a Bonjour is generally sufficient. Your school girl/boy French will never cut the mustard; the Parisians have their own secret dialect anyhow, and you don’t know it.
4. Do get a selfie with Mona. I used to think why to bother, but as soon as I was in front of her, I had my back to her getting a selfie. It’s a rite of passage type of thing.
5. Don’t make it easy for pickpockets by wearing a bum bag, or having an open bag over your shoulder. Pickpockets prey on tourists in touristy areas.
If you have socks and sandals on with a bum bag in Paris, you are going to be a walking target. Just putting it out there.
6. Do ask for help, even if you can’t speak French. The Parisian people are nice. You be nice, they are nice. It’s simple. Good manners get you everywhere.
7.Do get used to cigarette smoke in your face wherever you go, it is just the Parisian way.Click To Tweet Even though smoking is banned indoors, it is allowed outside, so expect to see large groups of people huddled at entrances that you won’t be able to see the entrance because there is too much smoke. Don’t even try to give a dirty look when you get a blast of smoke in the face. This is Paris after all, and you chose to come here. Don’t even flinch when you walk through butts knee deep on the ground or see a Garcon empty the ashtrays straight onto the pavement.
8. Don’t try and do business between 12 pm and 3 pm. If you want to do business at any time of the day in Paris, go to a cafe. The hours to do business in Paris are more realistically, probably between 10 am and 11 am, truth be told. The Parisians have a very good work-life balance and one we can all learn from.
9. Don’t worry about how long it takes to order in a French cafe, or how long it takes to get a meal or a coffee or wine; this is a social experience, and not worth rushing. Refer to point, 8.
10. Do gaze in Tiffany’s window and pretend you are Audrey Hepburn from Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Why not? You are in Paris after all. Stay across the road in a luxury hotel, and complete the dream picture.
11. Do promenade up and down the Champs-Élysées, regardless of what everyone else says. View the magnificent Arc de Triomphe, and do a lot of people watching while you are it. Do watch pickpockets here, because they do know where you are, and who you are. But, it is fun.
12. Do go to Montmartre because it is a rich history of decadence. Yes, it is also full of tourists, and artistes wanting to do your caricature, but that is why you came to Paris, isn’t it? Remember, What Goes on in Montmartre Stays in Montmartre.
13. Do wander at night time and discover why Paris is known as the city of love and the city of light. Take a walking tour, and then leave the group and create your own romance.
14. Do go and see the Eiffel Tower, from every vantage point, including Trocadero, because it is a lot better in real life than on a t-shirt, or an apron.
Hope these 14 Do’s and Don’ts in Paris, help you to feel more comfortable in this amazing city, which I love.